A. Lange & Söhne - is a trademark of German watchmaking company Lange Uhren GmbH («Lange»), a subsidiary of Richemont SA. Produces only high quality watches. Sometimes deservedly called the "German Patek".
Lange was founded in 1845 by Ferdinand Adolph Lange in the town of Glashütte, near Dresden. With Ferdinand, and after his death, his sons Emil and Richard, Lange produced quality pocket watches. Subsequent generations of the family have also continued to produce Lange pocket watches, and like many German manufacturers, Lange watches were produced mostly for German pilots during the Second World War.
In 1948, after the war, the Soviet Union administration expropriated the property of the company and the brand Lange ceased to exist. However, in 1990, after the collapse of the East German government, the great-grandson of the founder, Walter Lange, restored company. The newly established company Lange was working again in Glashütte, introduced its first line of watches in 1994.